Thursday, May 14, 2009

Back to the Future of Design



Once every year or so, retail corporations turn to their bag o' tricks and pull out the classic 'Limited Edition vintage/retro/throwback packaging'. The major sports leagues do it, too, and we get all excited to see the Yankees in baggy pants and knee-high socks.


The purpose is to offer the consumers a 'fresh' look without completely rebranding the product/team. We get a short peek at 'the way it was'...the way we remember it as kids. It's an appeal to our emotions. And the design world loves it because it reels in all the overdesigned, capitalist packaging/jerseys that have infested an otherwise clean, crisp, and beautiful world. (I think I manage to work this rant in on every post, don't I?)


Here's a look at a few throwbacks:








It makes sense to appeal to our past experiences; to draw us in by giving us the opportunity to somehow recreate a time gone by. But, what if they did the opposite? What if, instead of giving us something we've already seen, we got a sneak peek of something we're YET to see. A look into what is yet to come...


What's the future of these brands that we are so loyal to? What can we expect them to be decades down the road? Instead of throwbacks, I'd love to see a collection of future designs. I thought maybe a little something like these...






Yes, in the future, Pepsi WILL revert back to the previous version of their logo ;-)



I'd love to see your concepts for 'Throw-ahead' packaging and designs. Link in the comment field. If there's enough, I'll post them here with a link. Hope to see your ideas soon!


3 comments:

Kaira said...

Did you design that BIG mac package? If so, I love it.

Dogmatis said...

yeah... it might actually make me buy a big mac...

uberryan said...

Yes, all of these concepts are mine. Thanks for the compliments.

All we need to do now is get McDonald's and Pepsi on board. If you can do it, I'll be sure to send you a finder's fee. :-)