Sunday, July 12, 2009

Does your business wear a bow tie? Branding to remember

I had a conversation with a friend the other night. We were trying to figure out which salesman had helped him at the wine store. You see, it was Raechel's birthday. We had an amazing evening of tasting wines, cheeses, desserts, and most importantly, great conversation (This is a whole different post, but I've found that most of the indulgences of life are not about the indulgences at all, but about the people with whom you enjoy them and the conversation that it instigates.). Clearly I have digressed, except I haven't really gotten on the topic yet at all...

..as I was saying, my friend and I were trying to place a name with a face of the great salesman who recommended the wine (another rabbit trail, but I just have to sing the praises of our wine store of choice. Amazing service, they remember your name and what you like/dislike. For those in the Franklin area, go here.) for the evening. Each of us attempted to describe him. Was he the young guy? With the short hair and beard? No, he was older. Always wears the t-shirt. Says 'delicious' alot. He's super friendly and knew what he was talking about.

Finally, we were able to figure out who he was talking about. But more importantly, it made me realize that these descriptions we were using we essentially brandings: The quickly-described, prominent features of a person that stuck with us. 

It's the same with your business. Which store was it? The one with the green door. They were incredible in helping me find exactly what I needed. Or I just love the music they play in that shop. It makes me want to go in all the time! Maybe its I can't bring myself to go in to that place. They do great work, but I just feel so uncomfortable.

What's your business brand? What are people saying about you in quick descriptions? Often times, its something other than your service that will stick in someone's mind. But they'll remember you. Make sure that you follow up that brand with quality service.

0 comments: