Monday, June 29, 2009

Time Machine

This blog originally started in June 2006 to document my training for a triathlon. I had taken the concept from someone else as a tool to keep me accountable and to just express whatever emotion or opinion I was feeling about triathlon and anything else.

None of these original posts are still up, but I came across a couple that were really interesting to read in hindsight. It's always neat to look back and see where we've come from and where we are now...

6/18/2006 - Life is a Circus

It's amazing to me every time I see a juggler. Their ability to keep track of more balls than they have hands is quite impressive. I think the coolest part is to watch their eyes. There are more things up in the air than one should be able to handle, but their eyes keep focus, keeping track of everything they have going. Just as one ball is sent back up into the air, another one is right there, falling in to his hand.

True, I am young, but old enough to have more balls in the air than hands to catch. I feel like I am one of those jugglers that is trying to keep track of the flaming bowling pin, the chainsaw, the apple, and the tennis ball. All of them equally important to the performance, but not all equally important in cutting off my hand.

The key that I am slowly trying to learn...Don't sweat the tennis ball....Keep your eye on the chainsaw...and make sure to take a bite of the apple as it passes through.


6/21/2006 - See the Light

You know the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel everyone always talks about? You know, when things are feeling rough and you feel like it can't get much worse, people always say, "Keep looking for the light at the end of the tunnel." Soooo....what happens if there isn't one? I suppose you have to turn on your flashlight, throw it up ahead and make your own.

Things have felt pretty rough the past couple days, completely generated from an unfulfilling job. But today, I decided that it was up to me to buck up and start smiling.

The job is not gonna change, so "take a bite of the apple"...

------------------------------

Since then, the job did change. A few times, in fact. Now I have a job that I hope I never have to leave. 

And since then, it did get worse, and worse. But, the apple is still sweet most days. The apple is a blonde head that runs through my house and out the back door into the sand box. The apple is a beautiful woman that cooks wonderfully, loves me unconditionally and makes our house a home. The apple is a community of friends that carry me along and forgive me when I fail.

The Apple is a God that knew me and said, 'Mercy'. And I believe that he has more fruit in store down the road.

0 comments: