Monday, January 26, 2009

Working Holiday



In true Raechel form, my wife has managed to convince me that an impromptu trip, conceived and planned in less than 24 hours, to the city where we fell in love is a realistic trip.

So, the bags are 'packed' and I am prepping the laptop with all necessary files and programs for the 8-hour drive to Kankakee, IL, a small town 30 miles south of the Windy City. My parents have been gracious enough to watch Oliver during our visit (although, gracious probably isn't the best description...giddy and wiggling their toes at the chance to squeeze their grandson is probably more appropriate.), which will give us a chance to not only spend some quality time with a certain brood that is near and dear to our hearts, but also spend some time in the city itself.

So, this week will be a working holiday. I'm actually really looking forward to a change of scenery to get the creative juices squeezed again. There's just something so productive about working from a coffee shop. It must be the constant white noise and movement of people around me. I find myself inspired more in places like that.

There's really nothing like Chicago. While I do love Franklin and, Lord-willing, hope to grow old in this wonderful town, there's just something about the hustle and bustle of Chicago. There's so much beauty within the city that is taken for granted (I think it's a combination of the Northerner tendency to keep to oneself and the fact that the wind is just s'darn cold you can't think of anything or anyone but yourself!).

Things I love about the city:

• The anonymity of being one of thousands walking the street on a cold night.

• The radiating warmth on your head and face as you walk under the entrance to the hotels

• The ironic close proximity of the gothic-styled Wrigley Building and the Gehry-designed band shell in Grant Park




























• The prayer garden in next to the Fourth Presbyterian Church on Michigan ave. (This is the place Raechel agreed to marry a dorky, smitten 19-year-old.)


Lake Shore Drive in the summer (This can only be truly enjoyed in either a convertible or through the sunroof of your beautiful black VW Jetta)



Jia's - This little corner japanese restaurant was our oasis in the city. They had the most amazing fried rice I have ever had. Oh, how grown up we felt when we waltzed in for lunch in between shopping and riding bikes by the lake! Jia's is gone now, only to remain in our minds as one of our favorite places in the city.





There's plenty more...I could go on about the typical sights, but these are the ones I hold dear to my heart. 

Raechel and I dreamt of living in a flat on Delaware Place. I occasionally regret not doing it, at least for a year. We'll walk past and think about it again this week, I'm sure. But God is good and directs our paths. 

I plan to give updates during this week. Stay tuned for photos, video, tweets, and more!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, guess one can only stand so much of a moderate climate...you can take the boy out of the cold, but you can't take the cold out of the boy...or something like that. You will definitely want to leave your flip-flops in TN!!